Alumni Resume Book
John Andrew Herold · MBA · Masters '05
Personal Contact Information
3722 Holland Ave #2
DALLAS, TX 75219
The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, PA · May 2005
MBA · Finance
- Selected to represent Wharton at the 2004 MBA RE Challenge held at UT-Austin (team finished in 1st place).
Nashville, TN · May 1997
Bachelor of Arts · Economics and Spanish
DHA Capital Partners, LLC
July 2016 to present
- Focused on small balance and special situation RE investment opportunities in Latin America.
Contrarian Capital Management, LLC
Greenwich, CT and Dallas, TX · March 2006 to June 2016
Senior Vice President
- Sourced, evaluated, and executed RE related investments for a $4 bn hedge fund with a distressed strategy.
Primarily focused on private market commercial real estate in the US, investing across all product types.
Also evaluated RE related investments in bank debt, bonds, and public equity.
In 2006 expressed a short bias on US RE by shorting subprime and banks with problematic RE loan books.
New York, NY · July 2000 to June 2003
- Evaluated and executed a wide variety of investments in RE companies, portfolios, and assets.
Active in all aspects of the investment process including the negotiation of partnership and legal documents.
Worked closely with operating partners to monitor performance and to implement business plans.
J.P. Morgan & Company
New York, NY · July 1999 to June 2000
Analyst, Investment Banking Americas, Real Estate Group
- Wrote fairness opinion on behalf of a m-family REIT regarding the proposed financial terms for its privatization.
Advised Brazilian company on strategic alternatives and monitored public RE companies in Latin America.
Chicago, IL · July 1997 to June 1999
Asset Manager and Investment Analyst
- Member of 12-person team that oversaw the asset management of an office portfolio co-owned with CalPERS.
Responsibilities included office building acquisition due diligence and asset management.
- Real Estate Finance
- Asset Management
Regions of Interest
- Central/South America
- Southeast USA
- Southwest USA
Fluent in Spanish and conversational in Brazilian Portuguese.
Other positions not shown above:
Highland Capital, real estate and homebuilding credit analyst, June 2005 – February 2006.
Forum Partners, summer associate analyzing European real estate securities, May – August 2004.
Return to Full Resume Book